Thursday, April 9, 2009

1 blade ghost on the platinum tier



Each of the posts of this blog is going to consist in a soundfile, an image, and a few words in a kind of inquiry:  an attempts to characterize the relationship between reality / everyday life and the impulse of expression...

First, some explanation of the soundfiles.


MP3: BLADE GHOST ON THE PLATINUM TIER



They were usually composed of peculiar sounds sampled and looped, played back over and over again as an eq or a delay or an envelope filter was gradually passed over the output. Some of the experiments evolved a little more complexity, but that is essentially how they begin to develop. The primary ideal was to create a background sound for reading or concentration. Roughly every other track posted here incorporates some kind of recurring melody (3,5,7,9,10).  A vantage point in the drone to counterpoint the plain sound.

The files will remain posted for as long as archive.org exists to host them.  I'm sure there are a handful of people on the globe who have an affinity for this sort of non music, but, given that there are so many recordings available nowadays,  I'd be surprised if they find their way to them.  I've got hours and hours of this stuff,   Nevertheless0, I wish that I had a second existence that could sit endlessly churning it out.  If it reminds you of anything similar that you think I'd like to know about, certainly say hello.

I have made videos for these kinds of audio tracks before, I've embedded one of them below...but my hardware speed and my software limitations have put me on a video hiatus. I really got a lot of pleasure making video field recordings of peculiar settings.  I was never one for traveling to take tourist monument photos, but appreciate the camera as a pretext for travel, a means to occupy and consume time.. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to get them to get images with no narrative content whatsoever to appear interesting in and of themselves. You shoot two hours of video and you're clicking a mouse and staring into a screen for twenty hours. While I'm really enamored of hallucinogenic nightclub-style video wallpaper and new techniques of generating it, the tools are still too elite to access; for the present, my interest is in developing some observations along the sphere of the written word.

As I will expand upon later, none of this audio, imagery, or text was created and made public with any serious expectation of finding an audience other than my own.   While people are usually quick to say that each person possesses something to express that would be interesting to others,  I am rather skeptical about this.  The truly interesting is rather elusive.  Yet, for decades, there was this magical aura of power that surrounded the ability to make and distribute artistic creation.   And now, anyone can make and publish whatever they can imagine.   Given this new freedom, your curiosity obligates you to fashion something creative and put it into tje virtual public context.  In one sense, it's as if we woke up one day and all of the rocks in the world had turned into gold.   We suddenly have to ask, "Why was anyone ever so enamored of gold?" So much creativity... Of course, in the past, the scarcity of creativity, the difficulty of publicizing something was not the only reason why it was interesting, why it had value.  That is the subject of this blog.  What is the value of representation? Why bother?


2 THREE LIGHTS AGAINST STONE from motivesbeyondreason.net on Vimeo.

1 comment: